Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Baroque-ish stuff

So I have been working on the stupidstupidstupid frustrating bias tape binding of my rococo corset for quite a while now... and now it's finally done! And I love it! Yay!
But first, here are some pictures of what I've been doing at work:

We've had a comission for an event, where they wanted the waiters and waitresses to wear Baroque inspired costumes. We already had enough costumes for the guys, but we had to specifically make the women's costumes.

I was lucky enough to be allowed to make those from start to finish, meaning I made the pattern and then sewed and decorated all five dresses.
I have to admit that the colours wouldn't exactly have been my first choice, but oh well, we already had the fabrics and they had to be used at some point.

I'm a little bit sick of pink right now, I tell you... which isn't really a good thing, because my rococo dress will be pink as well :-D But a nicer pink, if you ask me.

This is the fabric I have purchased. It's not quite the same colour as in real life... In my opinion it's rasperry ice cream coloured, actually :-D

And now, drumroll please... I present: THE CORSET

It feels almost... unseemly to post this picture. I mean... look at the sheer amount of cleavage! No, actually don't look, it's obvious enough.
But still, isn't it a beauty? :-) I'll take some detail pictures soon, because it's really just gorgeous.
I'm wearing it here with my victorian chemise, as I haven't made the new one yet. That's next on my list.

I was actually surprised that I can pretty much close the corset all the way. It's a whole size smaller than what I usually wear.
Now I just need to figure out how to properly lace it. It worked quite well, but it still overlaps a little at the top, which bothers me. I guess, I just need a bit of practice, it's already an improvement on my first try anyway. Or I'll just have to get myself a maid.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Dress up - Bavarian Style

Yesterday at my current workplace (a costume rental) we had a large group renting traditional Bavarian costumes, dirndls for the ladies and lederhosen for the gents. Because of the large number of the group we decided to make it into a little event for them. So we all dressed up in our own "Trachten" (traditional costumes).
I'm not a big fan of that in general, because here in Munich, wearing a dirndl hasn't got much to do with tradition, but it's something most girls only wear to our famous Oktoberfest and you get strange looks if you wear it out at any other time. But well, the customer is king after all.
So, as I was already wearing my dirndl, which I made sometime last fall, and was all dolled up I decided to take some pictures.

Excuse the boring background, I didn't have anybody to take my picture around, so I couldn't take the pictures outside.

The pattern is by burda, you can get it here.
I couldn't be bothered to make a blouse because you can buy any possible style you can imagine.

The fabrics used are a light green dupioni silk (leftovers from my graduation dress), a polka dottted cotton and dark green taffetta.

Buttons on dirndls (if they have any) are quite often rather frilly, but I was aiming for a simple style, so I chose unadorned pearl buttons. In this picture you can also see the piping out of the skirt fabric I added around the neckline.

And just because I was rather proud of my hairdo, you get to see a picture of that, too :P

Now while we're talking dirndl, I still have some old pictures lying around of my Mum's dirndl (unfortunately not with my Mum in it, she's not a very eager model), which I made some time ago from the same pattern.

As I said, same pattern. This time out of black velvet (bodice) and black cotton blend (skirt) with real silver buttons which my Mum made herself. I really like how the same pattern looks so very different just because of the different fabrics and colours!

Again, I didn't make the blouse and in this case I didn't make the apron either. I didn't have time for that because my Mum needed the dirndl on very short notice. I do plan on making her a second apron though, so she can have a little variety.

That's it for our little excursion into Bavarian traditions, I've had quite enough of them now.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Ouch.

So, the rococo corset is coming along quite well. Progress wise.
Not necessarily motivation wise, though.
Don't get me wrong, I'm totally excited about this project, but as of yesterday evening/night I was a little (read: lot) annoyed with it.
I cut out all three layers of fabric for it and the interfacing (cutting the fabric is never my favourite part, so that's already a great start). And then I had to cut the steel boning.
After measuring all the lenghts I needed on the pattern I was a little shocked to find out that I would need 82 bones (eighty-two. E-i-g-h-t-y-t-w-o.) but still I merrily set to work. Whistle while you work and all (I was in fact wearing my Snow-white dress, so excuse the reference).
I'm lucky that I at least had the proper tool to do it (my Mum is a jeweller and has those sorts of things... very handy indeed) but still, after 1 1/2 hours of work my hands looked like this

The spots I circled are blisters, even though you can't properly see them in the picture. Ouch, I tell you.

But lets roll up this rant, after a few hours of delicious sleep and being able to sleep in today (it's a holiday today here in Germany) I'm mostly over my anger towards the steel bones.

That's the pattern pieces and the blasted bones in all their glory.
I'm looking forward to the point when the bones finally vanish into their fabric-y prisons and I never have to see them again.
Rant over.